I had dreams of frolicking with overall donning farmers, buying a truck load of fresh produce, singing while birds perched on my fingers. Instead, at all three markets, I found a row of tents hawking baked goods and one tiny tent of produce with limited quantity and variety. I was so completely disappointed. Even if I bought some of everything the veggie tent offered, I would still need produce from my local market to make it through the week. What a bust!
On the up side, I did get some delicious corn and string beans, the peaches were good and the blue berries were plentiful and not too expensive. There was an organic infused olive oil stand, organic coffee seller and a spice vendor that had some great products.
On the down side, it was more expensive than my usual market, the produce wasn't organic and it was in poor shape (bruised, ripe to over ripe). There were more baked goods for sale than any other type of product.
I eat large amounts of fruit (about 4-6 cups) and veggies (about 6 - 8 cups) per day, no bread or dairy, very limited processed foods and eggs and fish. It's kinda like feeding a captive manatee (they eat 15% of their body weight in vegetation per day).
Since I have stopped eating meat and bread, I have noticed that it is very difficult for me to feel full. Avocados are a huge part of my diet. I can consume huge amounts of produce, but without a little avocado, beans, nuts or hummus, I am ravenous an unsatisfied even though, logically, my stomach is full. The farmer's market did not have any options for someone like me.
Another lesson I learned, just because an item is purchased at a farmer's market, from a local provider, doesn't mean it's healthy. Even if it's vegan. I bought a vegan cupcake from a vendor. It was completely sugar! The baked goods I saw were no different from what could be found in a standard bakery. I had hoped for more variety and options like wheat free breads, alternatively sweetened products, vegan breads; maybe a healthier cookie made with almond flour and sweetened with stevia. The offerings were standard pies, cakes, tarts and breads.
Moderation is key. Artisan lard bread, even if it is stone ground, einkorn wheat made with lard and nitrate free cured pork from well loved and humanely dispatched pig, is in fact lard bread. Organic wine is still alcohol. Raw honey is still sugar. In the 1990's we had to learn that we could not consume boxes of Snackwells and Fat Free Entenmann's and lose weight. Now, we must keep in mind that place of purchase doesn't guarantee a product's nutritional validity. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and farmer's markets still sell junk food despite theme, slogan or overalls.
![]() |
| aggravated hummingbird |

No comments:
Post a Comment