Monday, July 16, 2012

I Beat my Meat

It has been 23 days since I stopped eating meat. I did not make a conscious effort to be a vegetarian. One Saturday, I was grocery shopping and I had no desire to put a single piece of meat in my cart or my mouth.

A phrase, from a book I hated, Skinny Bitch (thanks Tara), kept repeating in my head, when you eat meat,"you are eating fear, rage and grief". Simply put, animals feel fear, rage and grief before slaughter and when you eat those animals you eat the chemical reactions to their fear, rage and grief... It just stuck with me.

I thought, if I can understand the meat processing process, it would give some validity to my decision one way or another. I am not one of those "nothing with a face" kind of people. I love meat. I hate E.coli. I don't want to ingest antibiotics, steroids and/or synthetic hormones through my food. If the animals were feed well (with the correct feed), cared for properly, killed humanely and processed in sanitary conditions; I would eat meat. But, they aren't. So I don't. 

I am not going to lecture anyone, but I'm open to discussion. If you really wanted to know more about meat processing practices in the US, you'd Google it. 

I still eat fish and cage free eggs when possible. I am sure that if I researched those industries, I would stop eating that as well, but don't eat dairy or flour and limit processed sugar and I'm running out of foods. Nuts and beans will only take you so far. I refuse to eat faux meats. I think they are worse for your body than meat. GMO soy and salt is not my idea of healthy eating.


I would love to tell you that over the past three weeks I have felt euphoric and full of energy, but I'm really just me. I still skip the gym. I still have sinus and knee problems, though my sinus issues are less severe. 


If I want it badly enough, I'll eat it, no matter what it is... the significant word here is want






No comments:

Post a Comment