Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"I will (try to) be a hummingbird"



In the 2009 documentary Dirt! The Movie, Wangari Maathai narrated a fable about a group of animals who witness a fire in their forest. All of the animals watch in horror as their home is being destroyed. None of the animals do anything to save their home except for the tiny hummingbird. The hummingbird carries drops of water, one at a time, and tries to put out the fire. All the other, much bigger, animals try to discourage the hummingbird, "you'll never put that fire out one drop of water at a time". The hummingbird replies, "I am doing the best I can". (watch it here: http://youtu.be/IGMW6YWjMxw )

That's it. That is the message. You have a choice, you can watch the things going on around you and do nothing or you can do something. If you chose to do something, you may not succeed in putting out the fire. You may not win the battle. You can only do your best. 

I am choosing to take some small steps to be a healthier person, lessen my "footprint" on my environment and not to become a preachy bitch about any of it. That "don't be a preachy bitch" bit is my favorite piece of the hummingbird fable. At no point does the hummingbird stare down her beak at the elephant and say, "hey hose-nose, get off your ass and start sucking and spraying" she just answers their discouragements with "I am doing the best I can". So simple, so high road, so not my usual MO.

My hummingbird attempts, so far:

Over the past 4 years I have lost about 100 pounds. At my heaviest I clocked in at 260 pounds and currently, I am fighting my way into the mid 150 pound range. I am consistently trying to eat healthier. I have cut out all flour, most sugar, all dairy, and meat with the exception of eggs and fish. When I buy meat for my spouse, I try to make sure it is grass fed, free range, antibiotic free and organic. I am still trying to verify the true meanings of those labels and how much of a difference they make.

I try to exercise most days of the week. I bike, pole dance, skate with my beloved roller derby league (sadly, I don't play due to a knee injury) and I have a membership to a local gym gathering a film of summer neglect on my key chain.

I have just found a Community Sourced Agriculture (CSA) supplier in my area and I expect my first delivery this week. Not only with this bring fresh organic produce to my door, but it will patronize local farms. It is not cheap. I can not commit to this weekly, but I can try to use this method twice per month.

I am going to try sprouting seeds. It is very inexpensive and a relatively healthy way to supplement my salad habit.


I am going to try to use more glass and less plastic materials for food preparation and storage. Additionally, I will try to purchase foods that are not packaged with plastic, and, if they are plastic, I will try to recycle that plastic.


That's a lot of trying. I hope it leads to lots of succeeding. In any case, I will do best I can.




4 comments: