Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Just One Word... Plastics


Bisphenol A (a.k.a. BPA) is an industrial chemical used to make plastics and resins. It is classified as an endocrine disruptor. Basically, when you are exposed to it, it can mimic estrogen in the body and screw with your hormones. We are exposed to this every time we use eat foods that were canned in cans that were lined with BPA or stored in plastic containers made with BPA and drink liquids from bottles made with BPA.  It can also get into our system through water pipes and dental sealants. Most surprisingly, it is added to thermal paper and you can get it into your system when handling receipts! Seriously? Contamination via receipts?! 

So, why should you give a shit if there's a scootch more estrogen in your diet? I'm on the pill and have been for almost 15 years, I pay for extra estrogen... well, taking additional hormones should be personally researched and discussed with a doctor, not snuck into your leftovers. And, I'm sure my husband doesn't welcome the idea of Gladware induced bitch tits. BPA has also been linked to cancer, brain tumors and insulin resistance. Bitch tits and a tumor... bonus!

So, BPA = bad. Where is it and how can it be avoided, you say? BPA is found in plastic food containers often marked on the bottom with the letters "PC" recycling label #7. Plastics with the recycling labels #1, #2 and #4 on the bottom are safer choices and do not contain BPA. However, I still think heating or freezing in plastic is a bad idea. 


This week i dumped all my plastic containers into the recycle bin and invested in glass Pyrex containers. They do have plastic lids, but I do not put them in the microwave. I had reservations about commuting into work with glass, but I haven't had any breakage issues and everything tastes just a bit better.

I do still use some plastic cling wrap and freezer bags, but I'm working towards eliminating as much as I can. One drop at a time, right?








No comments:

Post a Comment